Friday, February 3, 2012

My first project: a eulogy

My first "real" project was a set of slippers.  Knit flat and then sewn together, the pattern included both knit and purl to create a garter stitch sole and a ribbed top.  The pattern was my grandma's, carefully recorded on an index card.  A bright green acrylic, these matched the spirit of the holiday season but have been worn year round.


I didn't know what a YO was, so when I got confused by which side of the needle the yarn should be on, the hole just stayed.  I also couldn't tell the difference between a knit and a purl on the first slipper, so my ribbing meandered.  The second one was a bit better.


After three years of dedicated service, the slippers did not make it through the wash this week.

Slippers: December 2008 - February 2012.  They lived a good life.

They will be missed, but I am looking forward to finally knitting some comfy wool slippers for me!

1 comment: